Last Updated on January 22, 2024 by Jorian
If you have a Nespresso Vertuo, you may have encountered a situation where the button turns half red and half yellow. This can be a frustrating experience, especially if you’re trying to enjoy a freshly brewed cup of coffee.
In this article, I’ll delve into the possible causes of the Nespresso Vertuo red and yellow light issue and the steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the problem.
How To Fix The Nespresso Half Red And Half Yellow Light?
The Nespresso Vertuo Plus machine may display a half-red and half-yellow/green light, indicating it needs descaling.
To fix the issue, descale the machine using Nespresso descaling solution and perform a cleaning cycle. If the light persists, try resetting the machine by following the outlined steps below.
If the problem continues, contact Nespresso customer support for further assistance or to inquire about a warranty claim.
Descale Your Nespresso Vertuo Plus Machine
The half-red/half-yellow light turns on when your Nespresso machine needs to be descaled, so the first thing you want to do is descale your machine. If you’ve already done this but the red/yellow light is still on you can scroll down to skip this part and read what to do then.
- Nespresso descaling solution (or alternative)
- A measuring jug (at least 1L capacity)
- A large container or bowl to catch the water and solution
Prepare The Descaling Solution And Clean The Machine
- Cut open the Nespresso descaling solution packet.
- Pour the entire contents of the packet into the water tank at the back of the machine.
- Add at least 500ml of water to the water tank (up to 650ml for extra safety).
- Remove the capsule holder and drip tray, then clean both thoroughly.
- Make sure there is no capsule inside the machine.
- Turn off the machine by holding the power button down for three seconds.
Enter Descaling Mode And Run The Descaling Process
- Press and hold both buttons on top of the machine for three seconds until the orange light comes on and stays solid.
- Press the button down once to enter descaling mode, and the light will start flashing.
- Place a large container or bowl under the machine to catch the water and solution.
- Press the button on top once to start the descaling process.
- Allow the process to complete, all of the descaling solution needs to go through. (about 7-8 minutes).
Perform The Cleaning Cycle And Exit Descaling Mode
- Dispose of the used descaling solution.
- Clean the water tank thoroughly and refill it with fresh water.
- Press the button once more to start the cleaning cycle, letting all the water run through.
- Press and hold both buttons for three seconds to exit the descaling mode.
- Let the machine cool down for 10 minutes.
- Fill the water tank with fresh water again, and your machine is ready for use.
Reset Your Nespresso Vertuo Plus
If you have performed a descaling cycle but the light is still half red and yellow, you can try resetting your Nespresso Vertuo. Here is how to reset your Nespresso Vertuo Plus:
- Turn on your Nespresso Vertuo Plus.
- Press and hold the lever on the front of the machine until the solid green light turns off.
- Press and hold the button on the top of the machine while simultaneously pressing down on the lever. Hold both for five seconds.
- The machine’s light should turn to solid orange.
- Press the lever down three times. The light should start flashing orange.
- Press the button on the top of the machine once.
- The light will flash orange three times and then return to a solid green light, indicating that the reset process is complete.
- You can now insert a coffee capsule and brew your coffee as usual.
The Last Thing You Could Try
If the red and yellow light issue persists after descaling and resetting, it may be time to contact Nespresso customer support for further assistance or to inquire about a possible warranty claim.
Regular maintenance, such as descaling, will help ensure your Nespresso Vertuo Plus machine continues to deliver delicious coffee for years to come.
What Happens If You Ignore The Light And Do Not Descale Your Nespresso For a While?
Over time, mineral deposits from the water, known as limescale, will build up inside the machine if you ignore the descaling light on your Nespresso Vertuo Plus. This buildup can negatively impact water flow and temperature, leading to longer brewing times, inconsistent coffee extraction, and uneven taste.
Furthermore, the accumulation of limescale may clog internal components like the water pump, heating element, and brewing chamber, resulting in the machine not working properly or even failing to operate.
Regular descaling is crucial for maintaining the machine’s performance and prolonging its lifespan. By ignoring the descaling process, you risk causing permanent damage to the internal components, which may require costly repairs or replacement of the machine.
By following the steps outlined, you’ll be able to get back to enjoying a delicious coffee in no time. To summarize here are the three things you can do when your espresso machine is showing a half-red/half-yellow light:
- Start by descaling your machine using the Nespresso descaling solution and performing a cleaning cycle.
- If the light issue persists after descaling, try resetting your machine.
- Should the problem continue even after these steps, don’t hesitate to contact Nespresso customer support for further assistance or to inquire about warranty claims.
Thanks for reading!