Last Updated on November 21, 2023 by Jorian
If your Breville espresso machine’s frother isn’t working or is only partially functioning, this article will outline common issues and their solutions!
How To Fix A Breville Steamer That Is Not Working?
To fix a Breville frother that’s not working:
- Check if the machine is on, the water tank is filled, and the dial is set to ‘steam’.
- Unclog the steam wand by cleaning with the provided pin tool and soaking the tip in a Cafiza solution.
- Prevent clogging by wiping and steaming the wand after each use.
- For a thorough clean, descale the machine using a descaling solution.
- If the steam wand is leaking, tighten the wand’s end or replace the O-ring.
Let’s get into some more detail below!
Check The Basics
There are a few basic, common issues that can lead to the steam wand not functioning properly:
- Make sure the Breville machine is turned on.
- Check if the water tank is filled.
- Set the steam dial to the ‘steam’ position (avoid ‘standby’ or ‘hot water’).
The Steam Wand Needs Unclogging
If the steam wand isn’t cleaned after each use, it may clog with dried milk, leading to poor performance or complete failure.
- Locate the small tool with a pin and a central hole, provided with your machine.
- Insert the pin into the steam wand’s hole, gently wiggling to loosen the dried milk.
- Use the tool’s hole to unscrew the wand’s tip.
- Soak the tip in hot water mixed with Cafiza (the descaling agent you use for your machine) for 10 minutes, which helps remove dried milk.
- Rinse the tip with tap water.
Alternatively, you can use a leftover water/descaling solution from a recent machine descaling.
Safety Tip: When testing the steam wand after cleaning, stand back and place the wand in a cup or tray. It might eject hot water initially.
Prevent The Steam Wand From Getting Clogged
To keep the steam wand from clogging, clean it after every use:
- Use a damp cloth to wipe off any milk residue from the wand.
- Then, direct the wand towards the drip tray or a container.
- Turn the Steam/hot water dial to the steam setting for 10 seconds.
This clears any remaining milk residue from inside the wand.
Descale Your Breville Espresso Machine
To thoroughly clean your Breville espresso machine, including the steam wand, perform a full descaling cycle.
Do not use white vinegar as it can leave a bad taste in your coffee. Instead, use a non-branded descaling solution, which is more cost-effective than the Breville-branded one.
I always use this descaling solution for my machine.
Enter Descaling Mode
Mix the descaling solution with water in the water tank, following a one-to-one ratio.
Next, turn off your machine and simultaneously press the two-cup button and the power button for 5 seconds to enter descaling mode, indicated by flashing lights.
The Descaling Process
In descaling mode, first press and hold the one-cup button for 25 seconds to allow the mixture to flow through the portafilter.
Then, activate the hot water for 10 seconds and the steam function for 15 seconds. Repeat this process until the water tank is empty. Afterward, turn off the machine.
This process will ensure your steam wand and machine are thoroughly clean and functional.
The Steam Wand of Breville Oracle is Leaking
If your Breville Oracle’s steam wand is leaking from the tip, it’s likely due to one of two issues.
First, the wand’s end might not be tightened sufficiently, causing water to escape.
Second, the O-ring, which is located between the steam wand’s tip and the wand itself, could be damaged or torn.
Replacing the O-ring is straightforward:
- simply unscrew the wand’s tip.
- Place a new O-ring.
- Then screw the tip back on tightly.
One of the more frequent issues with the machine is the steam wand leaking, among the various potential problems with the Breville Oracle.
The Steam Wand Is Still Not Working
If you’ve followed all the steps in this article and your Breville espresso machine still isn’t functioning, it’s advisable to reach out to Breville customer support.
If your machine is under warranty, they typically offer repair services. Alternatively, their phone support can assist you in troubleshooting and fixing the issue.
It can be annoying when you want to make a cappuccino but the steam wand is not working. Luckily, there usually is a simple solution to this problem. To summarize, here are the things you can do to get your steam wand to work again:
- Unclog the steam wand
- Run a descaling cycle
- Make sure the machine is plugged in and has water in the tank
- Contact customer support if nothing worked
I hope that this article helped you to get the steam wand on your espresso machine working again and that you can enjoy a nice cappuccino now!
Thanks for reading!