Last Updated on November 8, 2023 by Jorian
When you turn on your Keurig coffee maker, the lights should blink before you select a brew size to start the brewing process.
If all the lights remain on and the machine doesn’t brew, there could be several issues.
This article will cover the possible problems and their solutions.
Why Are All The Lights On?
The lights on your Keurig coffee machine may all stay on due to a clog in the water outlet hole.
- Unclogging the hole with a needle or paper clip, cleaning the K-cup holder, and descaling the machine can usually fix this.
- If lights remain on, resetting the machine by opening and closing the lid, and pressing the power button and the cup size buttons in sequence may help.
- Persistent issues might indicate a leak in the tubes, which would require checking for hissing sounds and either sealing the hole with heat-resistant tape or tube replacement.
This is a common problem with the Keurig K-Compact, K-35, K-Duo, K-Classic, K-Select, and K-Elite. Below is some more detail on fixing this problem.
Your Keurig Coffee Machine Could Be Clogged
If all the lights stay on your coffee machine, it’s probably because the water outlet hole is blocked. This blockage can occur if the machine hasn’t been cleaned or descaled for some time, causing coffee grounds and scale to clog it.
Eventually, this can lead to your Keurig spraying coffee everywhere.
Here’s how to fix it:
- Open the machine’s lid.
- Unplug the machine for safety.
- Use a needle or paper clip to clean out the clogged hole on the side of the lid.
- Remove the part where you put the coffee pod (K-cup holder) and clean its bottom holes.
- Plug the machine back in, close the lid, and press the power button to test if water flows through now.
- Open the lid again and wipe away any scale that comes out.
Most of the time, if all the lights on my Keurig won’t turn off, doing this will fix it. After you get it working, descale your Keurig to stop clogs from happening again.
The Lights Are Still On After Unclogging
If your coffee machine’s lights won’t turn off even after you’ve unclogged it, it might think it’s still clogged.
This can happen if you use a refillable coffee pod and overfill it or grind the coffee too finely. This makes it hard for water to pass through quickly, and the machine has to work too hard.
Here’s a simple way to reset your Keurig Compact machine:
- Plug in your Keurig.
- Open and close the lid.
- Hold down the power button.
- Press the buttons for the cup sizes starting from the smallest to the largest.
- Do steps 2 to 4 two more times.
- Open and close the lid one last time, and it should work properly now.
After resetting, you might be able to make only a couple of cups before the lights come on again. To avoid this, make sure not to overfill the refillable pod. Or, you can reset the machine whenever the lights come on again.
Alternative Ways To Reset Your Keurig
I’ve stumbled upon a couple of alternative ways to reset your Keurig from my own experience, in case the usual steps don’t work.
First, try quickly pressing the power button many times, about 20 to 50 times. You’ll know it’s starting to reset when it makes a sound. Continue pressing until the sound is steady.
After waiting a minute, the machine might reset and the lights and buttons should start working properly.
If pressing the power button repeatedly doesn’t help, there’s another method you can try.
Press and hold the power button along with the large, medium, and small cup buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until the lights turn off.
These are some techniques I’ve tried that have successfully reset some Keurig machines. They might just get yours working correctly too.
There Is a Hole In The Tubes of Your Keurig Machine
If your coffee isn’t brewing and all the lights are on, it might not be a clog causing the issue. Instead, there could be a leak in one of the Keurig’s tubes, which makes the machine lose pressure.
To check for this, remove the machine’s sides by unscrewing them from the bottom.
With the sides off, look for any leaks. Try resetting your Keurig as mentioned before. If you hear a hissing sound from the tubes while making coffee, it means there’s a leak.
You can seal the hole with heat-resistant tape or replace the tube entirely to fix it.
Your Keurig coffee machine is one of the most popular home coffee makers available. It’s great for making a single cup of coffee or a full pot in just minutes.
That being said, there can be problems from time to time. In the case of the lights staying on solid. There are three things you can do:
- Unclog your Keurig coffee machine
- Reset your Keurig machine
- Fix a leak in the tubes of your coffee machine
I hope the lights on your Keurig machine are working normally again and you can enjoy a nice cup of coffee now!
Thanks for reading!